Microfiction: The Game

 Love it While You Can

I miss it, we all do

I miss the smell of freshly cut grass, the feel of new cleats

The musical crack of the bat, gravity defying pitches

Poetry in motion isn't it?

Good plays have beat like Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone"

How can you not miss baseball? 

Getting dirty because its just so damn fun to slide, toeing the bump with the boys

Constant chatter and smack talk

I miss the sizzle of the grill and taste of food between the double headers

Take me back to the days when handshakes were fun, trust me the superstitions only make sense between the lines

Sitting in a cubicle makes makes you forget how damn good it is to be out there

Nothing beats clutch hits, or solo bombs to take the lead

Not a day goes by where I don't think how lucky we were to play a kids game

Baseball taught me how to be a man, how to do the right thing, and keep things in perspective

Baseball is symbolic with the relationship you have with your father, your mother, your family

Life was perfect before I woke up from living the dream

Hustling everywhere, practice after class, barely enough time to eat

Its more than a game its about making those around you proud

I sit in my lonely cubicle grinding out the process of work as all ball players do once the game is over 

But I smile as I write this because it takes me back to the feeling of being in it

Nothing beats having a catch, unconditional friends, brotherhood

I got your back to the end

We might not see each other everyday, but once family we're always family

That's baseball

The eternal bond we share, the stories, those are the glory days

One day you'll be on the other side of the fence 

So bask in the sun before it sets and if you ever want to look back upon the fond memories of days gone by

Join me and smile as we get swept up in the best of times

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Cade Posner... a future firefighter

Week 11 Story- Clay