Week 2 Story- A bond

 A bond 

There was once a young boy who told his dad he wanted to grow up and be a professional baseball player. 

The boy's dad replied, “Practice hard and go be a professional baseball player.” 

A few years later the boy changed his mind and said, “Dad I want to be a firefighter instead and save people and do good in my community.” 

The boy’s dad replied, “Son I could only hope you would want to do good for those around you, go be the change we need in our world today.” 

Another couple years past and the boy was now in high school. He said, “Dad I want to get a well paying job.” 

His father replied, “Son money is not the only thing in the world worth chasing, go forward with your dreams but remember what people did for you, so you can be where you are today.

The boy was no longer a boy, but instead a man graduating college. He said, “Dad what do I do now?” 

His Father replied, “Son you have told me your hopes and dreams your whole life, go forward and be the best man, father, and husband you can possibly be. All else will fall into place.”

The man now with a family of his own said, “Dad how’d you do this your whole life?”

His father replied, “With love and passion.” 

The man looked into his father’s eyes one last time while they sat in the empty hospital room and said, “Dad, what will I do without you?” 

His father replied for the final time, “Fall asleep with nothing but love and forgiveness in your heart. What’s meant for you will be for you tomorrow and the day after. Trust your journey.” 


Father-and-Son-Silhouette 

https://metsmerizedonline.com/2015/10/why-this-october-will-feel-different.html/father-and-son-silhouette/


Author's Notes: For this short story I wanted to take the message from The Man in the Moon, of being able to do whatever you want to do in life. Though I wanted to switch the ending instead of being greedy I wanted my characters to be thankful for those around them and the sacrifices they have made in order for them to be where they are. Cherish those around you, for they will not always be around. They will give you knowledge and life lessons that can only last as long as you live them out. 

Bibliography: "The Man in the Moon" from Laos Folk-Lore by Katherine Neville Fleeson

Comments

  1. Hi Cade,

    This is a fantastic story and really hits home. Everyone loves their parents and wants to be with them forever and unfortunately, that is not always the case. This was such a good story because it was wholesome and positive throughout the entire story. I loved how the father supported his son regardless of what he wanted to do. We simply do not see this in families enough anymore and it really is just so sad. I wonder how this story could have played out if you continued it and talked more about the son's family after his dad dies. I think there are a lot of extra cool things you could do with this story but it is already perfect as it is. It was short and sweet but got the message across and flowed very well. The thing I appreciate most about this story is that it makes you want to keep reading and makes you sad when it ends. Overall, great work and I look forward to reading your stuff in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cade,

    I really enjoyed that story. I’ve always wanted to be a football coach, and I’ve had many people try to discourage me from that dream because of lack of money or time, but I’ve stayed consistent. I really enjoyed how you let the characters grow in age and maturity throughout the story. This was one of my favorite stories so far. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Cade Posner... a future firefighter

Week 11 Story- Clay